I’m Glad You’re Here!
Brave Philosophers is a site about empowering the high-potential children in our lives and ourselves to love learning. It is about uncovering new learning strategies and ways of positively advocating for our children’s learning in and out of school. It is about being brave philosophers, ourselves, and inspiring our children to continue their journeys as brave philosophers.
Who Am I?
I tend to believe that we spend too much time trying to figure out who we are and not enough time becoming who we want to be… With that said, what qualifies me to share important information with you about gifted learners is the following:
- I am a university professor of gifted education (my Ph.D. is in Special Education with an emphasis in Gifted Education). In this role, I have published close to 20 manuscripts on gifted education and have given 40 juried state, national, and international presentations on gifted education since 2013. Currently, I have a contract with Free Sprit Publishing to write a book on teaching underserved gifted learners. This book will appear in print in about a year.
- As a professor, I teach graduate courses in gifted education and doctoral courses in research methods. I have also chaired and/or co-chaired about ten doctoral dissertations in gifted education since beginning my position as a professor in Fall 2013.
- I actively serve on state gifted-education advisory boards, a national task force on the Whole Gifted Child, and three editorial boards for well-established gifted-education journals.
- Prior to this, I was a middle and secondary English teacher for 8 years. Teaching my 7th grade gifted students inspired me to pursue doctoral study. I miss them every day!!!
- I am the proud mom of two gifted children, Ally (12) and Conner (10)!!!
I sincerely want to give information back to the people who need it the most (educators, parents, counselors, children, etc.). Best practices should not just live in journals with paywalls that are inaccessible to the people who are caring for and supporting gifted children every day. This is what I strongly believe and my primary motivation for creating this site.
Getting to Know You!
I am happy to speak to small groups and larger audiences on a variety of different gifted education topics.
If you’d like to connect, please contact me at email@example.com